10.22.2014

The Happy Thirty: Fall Edition - Day Twenty

Grateful for another great day. More specifically, I decided to look beyond the imperfections of the day and count my blessings. I have a wonderful intern and I am excited to work with and learn from her (as much as she will learn from me). I was able to get a ton of things accomplished today, including two to three cases of IEP paperwork. I had three great reading groups with my third grader kiddos. I had a delicious salad with fresh chicken for lunch. I was able to tutor - and the session went really well today. I adore Tyler. I had a home cooked meal for the second (maybe third or fourth) night in a row.

But the most important moment of my day ... the thing that brought real joy to my heart ... was hearing from a parent that I've made a difference in the life of her child. That I am all the child can talk about from the time she wakes up to the time she goes to bed. And that her daughter was never excited about school until this year. The mother thanked me for whatever it is that I am doing with the kid. And that my friends, is the reason why I teach. It's the reason why I return to the job day after day, even when the job gets tough and my evenings are long. I teach because I want to make a difference in the life of a child. And if I make a difference in at least one child's life each year, I am changing the world.

After getting off the phone, I affirmed out loud to myself ... my charge for this year is to stop at nothing to help this child grow as a learner. She's crazy below grade level and struggles so much with all taught concepts ... but if I can help her make a years progress in a years time ... all while having fun and continuing to come to school with a smile on her face each day ... then all the sleepless nights, and workplace blues will be worth it.

So tonight as I fall asleep and count my blessings ... I am counting Kenzie. I thank God that he chose me to be her Angel. To be someone who had the power to change her life. I hope I do not fail this task ... I owe it to her to help her be the best she can be. And I will not give up until we succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment