10.22.2013

THIS is why I teach.

A good friend of mine posted the excerpt below as her face book status this evening. After a long and somewhat frustrating day with special education students, I was feeling down and out ... until I came across this status. These words explain exactly why I wake up and go into school every morning. I teach in hopes that I will touch the life of at least one child ... that I will make a long lasting difference in their little words. I am so glad that I had an opportunity to read the words below ... it woke me up this afternoon, a solemn reminder of why I need to shake off the frustrations of today and go into work tomorrow with a smile on my face! 
Occasionally, in the business of children, you'll come across those who, in their short few years, have fashioned a tough exterior. You'll know, from experience, that any efforts to push your way through will be futile. This is where you dig your heels in, present yourself at the beginning and say, "You have the tools you need. I'll be over here if you need me." And you are. Every single time.

One day, you'll look up and see this child standing before you and he'll say, "Remember that time over at the table, when I told you to get out of my life?" And you will say, "Yes?" And then he will say what you are hoping he would say and that is, "I didn't mean it."

But it doesn't end there. This brief exchange restores your faith in who you are and why you do what you do. Deal sealed.

- Kim Soles 

1 comment: