10.12.2013

Five things that are most important to you in a future mate

It's funny looking back and thinking about the qualities I used to desire in a future mate. I recall my eighteen-year-old self thinking a six foot, blonde hair, blue eyed football player WAS the one for me. I remember being on my college campus, and locking eyes with any football player really. Tall, dark and handsome or tall, blonde and handsome ... this was my *type* and I was shallow enough to believe that THAT (a football player or dumb jock with a certain build - 200 or more pounds - and a two diamond stud earrings in the ears) was who I wanted to settle down with.

After experiencing a devastating break up and dating countless WRONG guys for me, I've determined in my adult life that there are specific things that I need in a man or rather seek in a future mate. Although there are certain physical qualities I find attractive, I also recognize that beauty is more than what meets the eye and I need a guy with a beautiful inside <sounds lame right?>.

So here are the FIVE MOST IMPORTANT qualities that I'd like to find in the gentleman I am to marry:

1. Faith. I deeply desire marrying someone who is a Christian. Although I do not attend church regularly, or any church function for that matter, I was raised in the church and my faith is very important to me. I'd like to be with someone with a similar Christian upbringing and who understands the importance of faith. It is my dream to raise my children in the church, and in order to do so, I need to be with someone who is equally yoked and has similar values :o)

2. Intelligence. I find it extremely attractive to talk to educated men. Men who enjoy reading and who are critical thinkers - who love learning and are continually seeking more information. As a nerd myself, I would like to settle with someone who can challenge me intellectually. Who can introduce new ways of thinking to me or expand my knowledge on anything. Someone with whom I too can challenge intellectually. I've dated far too many dumb jocks (it's true) and there's nothing less stimulating than an individual who can ONLY talk about football and video games.

3. Determination. Life is hard. Sometimes it hands you a bag of lemons and a series of setbacks. But you have to fall down six times and get back up seven. I desire a mate who is determined. Who will not let life knock him down to his knees for long. Someone who has dreams and aspirations, and who is determined to see these become realities. Someone who is determined to climb the career ladder, or to make time for their kids and family, who will never give up when times get hard.

4. Family Oriented. I come from a HUGE family. I am talking at least fifteen first aunts and uncles and over thirty cousins. I see at least fifteen of my relatives biweekly. I see my family (mom,dad,sister,brother) at least three times a week. I love spending time with family and I want to raise a large family. I desire a mate who values family too! Who enjoys spending time with relatives (not once a year at Thanksgiving only) and who is interested in having children and raising a family of our own.

5. Sense of Humor. I like to joke and laugh. I like to have fun. I need someone who can make me laugh. Or someone who will laugh when times get hard - who will find a sense of humor and joy in the simple things. Life is too short to be serious all the time - and I'd like for a mate who gets that :o)

I am not sure if these traits are a little outrageous ... but I do hope to find all of these things in a mate one day :o)

#theSW30

No comments:

Post a Comment