When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.
When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But only for a season.
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person/people (anyway); and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.
|
Over the years I have received countless chain emails with this topic in the subject line. I have read these emails time and time again; and I have reflected on each person that was presently in my life. However, the past week or two has opened my eyes and given new meaning to the terms "reason," "season," and "lifetime."
My circle of friends has changed over the past two or three years. There have been individuals with whom I thought I would grow old, yet life had different plans and we now no longer speak. Individuals with whom I couldn't imagine my wedding party without, and now I couldn't imagine my wedding party with them. Individuals with whom I once new EVERY detail about their life and could talk and laugh with for hours on end, and now I have no clue what they are up to other than a facebook status here or there. Or who I go out to catch up with, and it seems like the LONGEST hour of my life because we have not a thing to really talk about.
I think the most enlightening experiences have been relationships with coworkers. For the second time in three years, I have befriended coworkers and become too close too quickly. And for the second time in three years, I feel as though I have been kicked to the curb. The friendships fell apart for one reason or another, sides needed to be taken, and I fell on the wrong side of the tracks. This recent experience, has opened my eyes to the fact that I mistakenly place individuals into the lifetime category, when these people entered my life for a reason or a season.
A new season (such as the start of a new month) provides a chance to start again and to try something new. I am beyond grateful for the people who are in my life and for the ones God has taken down a different path. Each and every person has taught me a lesson and has forever changed who I am for the better.
As Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." And that is a lesson of a lifetime.
Update:
I just read this post by Mandy Hale of thesinglewoman.net :o) In many ways, these are the words I wanted to say but could not find. Please read if you need inspiration and encouragement about the importance of setting boundaries!
No comments:
Post a Comment