My choice to unplug has been wonderful so far. I am not anxious or crazed about knowing the whereabouts of other people ... what they're doing and why I was not invited. I am not spending endless hours lost in face book or twitter. When I am with company, I am actually tuned into the conversation and engaged. I do not have this itch in the back of my head to snap a photo with my iPhone only to post it to instagram and stalk my IG news feed. I am not distracted by some one's status update on face book, all while trying to craftily plan the phrase or words needed for my status ... all while sitting in the middle of a dinner conversation with friends. I am not scrolling through my twitter feed and laughing out loud at something someone tweeted while simultaneously missing something funny that my friend at the table said.
I am engaged. I am present. I feel alive. I feel connected ... with the people sitting right in front of me. And it's a darn great feeling. I have no urge to have my cell phone in my hand. I am living in the moment.
Near the beginning of the month, when I was in fact plugged into social media, I posted a status about divorce. The status went something like this, "Divorce your phone, your apps, your social-feeds, and engage in relationships with people that actually matter. Vow to spend a significant amount of time off your mobile-devices, unplugged, and instead get back to making personal relationships that will stand the test of time."
Here's to the start of me doing exactly that - engaging in relationships with people that actually matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment