The first two years was really difficult. I was depressed and cried a lot. I ripped the band-aid off of my bleeding heart many times, only to re-injure that vital organ and place the band-aid right back on it. I lived in a fantasy world and had unrealistic dreams about where I would be by this point in my life ... who I would be dating or married to ... the happiness that I would feel. I look back on those first two years with a tender respect and appreciation for the struggle I went through and the wisdom it provided me with.
The past two years have been better. I have slowly but surely grown into myself. I have become content with who I am and where I am in life. I have done things I never imagined possible. I have found an inner strength within me ... a quiet confidence ... that I had forgotten about when my heart was broken into two. I have worked so hard at becoming the best teacher I can be in the workplace. I have worked so hard at being able to provide for myself, now that I am living on my own. I have worked SO HARD at being content as a single woman and finding happiness in weekends out with my girlfriends.
In fact, I AM content being single and I am happy. Yet the world seems to feel sorry for me. My coworkers and friends are ALWAYS trying to set me up with blind dates or a friend of a friend of a friend, whom may be a good match for me. They look at me with such pity when they find out I have no weekend plans or that I have not dated a guy since this time last year. They feel such concern for me when they realize I have not been with a guy in months if not years. They become an iron vault when I ask them how their relationships are going and say "Oh! It's fine." It's as though they feel that I cannot handle hearing about their love lives, because I currently do not have one of my own.
Recently, a couple of my girlfriends have gotten engaged. I am beyond excited for them and their fiances! But old coworkers and friends have started asking, "Christina, when are you getting engaged? You're next..." They dig for information about the men I <am NOT> dating and then for information about WHY <I am NOT> dating. They look at me as though I am weird or strange, when I happily report that I am embarking on starting my journey in grad school. That I am hyper focused on getting my degree and continuing to become the best teacher I know how to be. I walk away feeling like I am weird - and then I wonder, why am I single? Why haven't I found someone to settle down with? Why don't I enjoy dating just for the sake of dating? Why am I so guarded?
I mean for starters, it is SO difficult finding men around here. I work in a school with WOMEN. There are five male teachers - if even that - and they are all married. On the weekends, I go out to bars but let's be real, that is not the most ideal place to meet someone. Lately, old flames have been reappearing into my life. I have humored the idea of hanging out with them ... but then I ask myself - WHY!? - I am not really interested in them and obviously a relationship never worked in the past.
So I am currently [frustrated.com] as I do not know what to do or where to stand on the issue of love, dating and relationships. I know I should not let other people dictate how I feel or who I am dating ... but I am suddenly wondering myself ... how do I feel? And why am I not dating?
Don't let anyone pester you about when you are getting engaged next. The bottom line is that it's no one's business and if they don't like that then oh well. Your time will come and until then you have so much going for you! You are an amazing person and have so much to offer.
ReplyDeleteI needed to hear these words - thank you for the encouragement!
DeleteIt's your life, not anyone else's! I just wrote a post about dating on my blog (it's the ten things I love about me, regrets since last 2/14 post) in which I explain my struggles with dating and being single for the past year and a half. Sometimes I feel lonely, and I miss having a boyfriend. But then I think, "I refuse to settle and pretend to like someone just because I'm lonely! That's not fair to anyone involved." It's hard to date around.. And I have an online dating website, and I also find that most of the time I have zero interest in anyone I meet on there lately. Love will happen when it happens
ReplyDeletelove your words of encouragement - love WILL happen when it happens and in the mean time, I am enjoying all that life has to offer!
Delete