2.10.2013

A.D.D.

So I think I have developing ADD, as in attention deficit disorder. It obviously has developed over the years due to my obsession with electronics (i.e. my iPhone and my macbook AND the constant need to check both for messages from social networks.) I am NOT the poster child for this impairment, however I DO have difficulty nowadays with: (1) staying on task (2) misplacing things needed for tasks and (3) becoming distracted by extraneous stimuli. With all of this being said, let me introduce you to my brain and the thoughts that are running rampant through it.

Thought One: Pancake Tuesday.

Pancake Tuesday is this week! How is it possible that I need to know by Wednesday what I am giving up for lent? More importantly, what AM I giving up for lent? So I have been contemplating this little gem for a few days now and have come up with the following:

 <although I know it's probably a better idea to just choose one and stick with it>

1. Refrain from posting facebook statuses or twitters statuses until Easter.
2. Try to go to Church weekly. Or spend some time meditating on the word until Easter.
3. Exercise daily for at least thirty minutes until Easter.
4. Give up chocolate, sweets, alcohol until Easter.

I have NO CLUE which one of these will prevail, but I am going to try to do at least one of them until Easter. In the mean time, I WILL indulge in pancakes, bacon and all things breakfasty and fatty tonight. And that is ONLY because my family is celebrating Pancake Tuesday tonight instead of on ... well ... Tuesday.

Thought Two: Valentine's Day

I am single. I have been single since my senior year of college, when I had my heart viciously broken by my ex. I have not celebrated Valentine's day since 2007 (outside of classroom parties with my students). It has been SIX years since I have had a Valentine or someone do something nice for me on this day. Am I bitter? Used to be ...but I am not anymore.

However, I would be lying if I said that I didn't think Valentine's Day was overrated AND that I kind of sort of wish that someone WOULD do something nice for me (like send flowers to my job or give me a heartfelt card). Really, I would like heartfelt cards from girlfriends or students or someone who thinks lovely thoughts about me and would like for me to feel loved. I doubt I will receive any of the above this year though ... so I will make the promise to send heartfelt cards to my loved ones.

Not because I want anything in return, but because I think it's important to tell the people that you love - that you care. Some would argue that you should do this every day of the year - not just on Valentine's Day - and I would agree. But I think it's fun being sentimental and sending little thoughtful gems in the mail or leaving them on people's doorsteps. So I will be Cupid on Thursday and spread some love in the air. I will also celebrate with one of my dearest friends, Annie. We plan to do a girls night in and do whatever it is that single girls want to do on a day like V-day.

Thought Three: Half Birthdays

So I just realized, I am six days away from my half birthday! Or six days away from "six months to a quarter life crisis" :o) It may be time to update the title of my blog sometime soon to reflect such time lines. Haha! In all seriousness, I am beyond excited for my twenty-fifth birthday! I am ready to enter the next age bracket in life. And by age bracket, I am referring to those surveys when they ask if you're in the 19-24 or 25-30 age range. I am welcoming this new range with open arms! Maybe then I'll actually remember how old I am when people ask. Nowadays, I accidentally say I am 23 sometimes, because let's be real - there is nothing really special about 23 or 24. In all honesty, there is probably nothing really special about 25 either. However, I am excited for my next birthday and the new experiences (good and bad) that it will bring.

Last Thought of the Morning:

Is it just me, or does it seem like February is going by really fast? It seems like just yesterday was the first of the month, and now we are already entering the third week of the month. I am hopeful that this will be a fun week! Beyonce tickets go on sale tomorrow, and I'd really like to purchase one so that I may be in attendance at her concert in July. Registration for the Baltimore Color Run also opens this week, and I intend to register for the race! The run will occur in May but I hear that the registration fills up quickly, so it's best to register sooner than later. I have been diligent about exercising more lately - not for the color run - but because I am participating in a jungle cup run next month. I hear it's like a smaller version of the tough mudder. I am excited for this opportunity, but also scared crazy because I am out of shape and have no upper body strength. So the past week, I have been lifting weights and running every other day so I can build up my strength and endurance.

Okay so back to my original statement ... I think I have ADD. My thoughts are ridiculous and hectic and frenzied on a daily basis. So perhaps, the BEST thing to give up for Lent would be social networking ... so that perhaps I have no need to be on my phone or computer ... which are OBVIOUSLY the reason why my brain does not function the way it did when I was sixteen.

Happy Sunday Everyone! What crazy thoughts are running rampant through your heads?

No comments:

Post a Comment