But I was truly humbled by two acts of kindness that occurred yesterday.
In addition to my co-teacher in third grade, I have two co-teachers in kindergarten. When I entered the classroom of one of them on Tuesday morning, she came over to me with an envelope and said, "Here's your part of the class gift!" She explained that our students had collectively contributed $210 dollars for the class gift, and in my envelope was half of that sum.
Overwhelmed at the generosity of the students, I asked which kids contributed so that I could write thank you notes. While peering over her shoulder, I realized that this gift was supposed to only be for her. The slips of paper that kids had returned with their contribution, indicated that the money was being collected for my co-teacher ... not the two of us.
She would probably never admit it, and I will never question it. However I was truly humbled by her generosity. She could have easily pocketed that money. Stuck it in her purse and continued about her day. I would have never known. But she felt that we were a team, and that the gift should be shared equally between us.
Ya know the old saying, actions speak louder than words? THAT was an example of exactly that. I will ALWAYS remember her kindness. Her spirit. Her heart. Her action speaks volumes about her character and who she is as a person, and I am so grateful for a caring co-teacher.
I was humbled once more by another act of kindness.
I have a student who has two parents under the age of twenty. His family clearly has very little and I did not expect any gifts. However, his mother gave me a white envelope with a $5 giftcard to McDonald's. I could tell she was embarrased. She repeated over and over again that she is so sorry that she did not have anything more to give. That the gift was not much. But that gift touched my heart. She was thoughtful. She was kind. She gave when she did not have much to give. She wanted to let me know she's grateful for the work that I am doing with her son.
I realized this week, I was entering this season of Christmas with all of the wrong ideas. Money was on my mind as I splurged on gifts for loved ones. Money was on my mind as I asked for gifts ... and I took note of what gifts family and friends were planning to give me. It was not that I was keeping score, yet a part of me felt that it was necessary. At work, the number of gifts from staff and students was on my mind as I collected gifts with open arms. Here unfortunately, I was keeping score.
I am ashamed at my selfishness. I am embarrassed at my attitude. I am abundantly blessed. I have everything I need. Anything extra is exactly that, extra. A blessing. A kind deed. A kind thought. So as I prepare to host family tonight for a Christmas Eve gathering, I am humbled to remember that Jesus is the Reason for the season. Let us find joy in celebrating the birth of baby Jesus. In spending time with loved ones from near and far. In remembering that we are abundantly blessed, and God gives us everything we need. He always provides.
If you're reading this, I wish you a Merry Christmas! May you too be humbled this Christmas season by the love and/or kind heart of another.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas sweet friend!
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a wonderful Christmas and will have a more memorable New Year celebration!
ReplyDelete