3.06.2013

Snow Day

There is something so peaceful and sobering about being able to enjoy a snow day in the comfort of my own home. To be able to sleep in until noon and then move about my little apartment on my own schedule. To not have to worry about anyone else or be considerate of anyone else. To cook sausage and waffles for breakfast, and to leave my dirty dishes sitting in the sink. To waste away an hour stalking people on face book with the television playing in the background. To walk around in my PJ's that are still turned inside out, in hopes of school being cancelled (it worked).

I have been struggling lately with the reality that I live a different life than many of my friends. I do not have the luxury to go purchase a new coach purse whenever I feel like it or to buy a new pair of shoes. I cannot afford to eat dinner out at fancy places three times a week with girlfriends, and then purchase fancy, expensive drinks afterwards. I cannot attend every single social event or go on a shopping spree every single weekend. At one point I could ... but that was another lifetime, when I lived at home with my parents and had no financial responsibilities.

This new realization that I have to choose ONE event per week to participate in and I have to continuously say NO to friends about going here or there has been upsetting to me. But today, even if only for a couple of hours, I have a sudden peace about this new reality. How blessed am I to have this humble little abode to wake up in and share with no one but myself. The peace and solitude I find here is unparalleled. It is a blessing that not many people can say they have to enjoy these days - when the economy is so weak and financial difficulties are plentiful.

So as I watch white fluffy snowflakes tumble from the clouds down to the ground, I am going to relax in my little home and enjoy what it is that God has blessed me with. He is good to me and I am grateful for doors he has opened and the opportunities he has presented me with. Happy Wednesday everyone.

1 comment:

  1. The reality is you are a responsible adult. It's the truth and you are doing what's best for you. :) Enjoy your snow day!

    ReplyDelete