10.06.2013

Describe a Moment When Being Single Really Sucked

I have been thinking for about twenty-four hours about a moment when being single really sucked. I've combed my thoughts and memories, hoping that there would be one AHA moment that would stand out when being single was the PITS.

However, I have come up with NOTHING in my search for one exact moment that I hated being single. My first love and I dated for a total of about five years. He was my world and I just knew he was the one with whom I would settle down with. Ha - we've all been there right? Thinking that our first love would be our last?

Anyhow, when he broke up with me, I was DEVASTATED. I really took a tumble down hill with that breakup and it took me about three years to REALLY get over him and the loss of our relationship. During those three years of "recovery" and trying to put the pieces of my life and emotions back together, being single really sucked when:


  • Valentine's Day rolled around (and I watched all of my girlfriends in relationships go out to romantic dinners and receive lots of little trinkets from their beloved). In fact ... one year when my Ex and I were having a particularly rough time, I just knew he was NOT going to purchase me a Valentine's gift. So I purchased myself a Tiffany's necklace and scheduled it to arrive on Valentine's day, so that maybe for a few minutes, I would not feel left out.
  • The Holidays ... Thanksgiving and Christmas were SUPER hard for me. I recall being in my senior year of college and not wanting to come home ... because I knew that all of the memories of Holidays with my Ex would come flooding in full force. And sure enough, they did! I spent many late nights driving around town and listening to depressing Christmas songs (like Mariah Carey's I miss you most at Christmas time) to sob both privately and uncontrollably away from my sleeping family members.
  • On October 7 (until last year) was a day when being single REALLY sucked. It was the anniversary date of my Ex and I. And until last year - I'd cry and sulk and journal about "the one who got away." In hindsight, however, he was the one who chose to walk away ... so I guess that doesn't really count as someone who got away.
  • During summer and autumn because everyone is out and about ... at the beach, at the pumpkin patch or at football games, and it stinks being the third wheel with your coupley friends for these activities. Or better yet, wanting to go do these things and none of your girlfriends want to because A) they are already in a relationship and want to do it with their love or B) their single and would rather sit at home and sulk.
  • I need help with my car (i.e. oil change, engine light is on) or when I need help hanging up things in my apartment (or killing little spiders and bugs). When I find myself in these moments, I often remark outloud: "It would be nice to have a boyfriend right about now." Ha!
  • I am out at a bar and guys (that I am SO not interested in) hit on me! I always wish I had a cute boy nearby to say: "Sorry but my boyfriend is over there fellas."
  • When guys who you cherish as DEAR friends begin to hit on you. You can tell they have feelings and they are trying to move out of the friend zone into the boyfriend zone ... and your STUCK! You dont want to hurt their feelings (because they're your friend) and you hate yourself for not being attracted to them (although you see some of their good qualities ... I mean you picked him as a friend right?) And you then wish that you were already in a relationship ... so you wouldn't even have to travel down this awkward winding road.
  • AND when you finally meet a guy and fall "in-like." You start getting giddy at the thought of him calling or texting you. You grin from ear to ear and wear your best clothes. You laugh at all of his jokes and your heart skips a beat when his touch grazes your arm or leg. You begin to let your guard down and become emotionally vunerable ... and then BAM! He disappears from the face of the earth, and your crushed wondering whre things went wrong. And then you're reminded that you are STILL single.


I guess I've just outline my moments when being single really sucks. ;) And I am grateful that I am in a place right now where I am content with being single (most of the time anyway haha).

#theSW30

2 comments:

  1. I laughed when I read "when I need help with my car" !!! Lol ! I know the feeling! I enjoyed this post. Grace to you.

    ReplyDelete