11.12.2012

Giving Thanks: Day TEN

The things that I am thankful for today ... all have a common theme:
  • A compliment from the receptionist at my dentist's office: "You are such a beautiful girl! You have a beautiful smile ... and your eyes ... they twinkle when you smile." What a terrific way to begin my day, with such an unexpected but kind compliment.
  • In a moment of despair, a tweet and text messages from my cousin Nicole. I have a formal observation tomorrow during reading instruction. I began to doubt myself ... my teaching abilities ... my lesson plan. Unexpectedly, but right on time may I say, Nicole contacted me and was nothing but uplifting and encouraging. I am not sure what prompted her to say those words - or to reach out so suddenly - but it was right on time. It was welcomed. It was needed. It helped me calm down and regain focus at 8pm at night, as I sat flustered and exhausted in my classroom.
  • A phone call from one of my dearest friends, Stacey. We talked for over an hour and laughed and laughed and laughed. She may be ten years older than me, but I value her friendship so much. I trust her insight and seek her wisdom. I thank God every day for having had our paths cross three years ago. 
What's the theme you may ask? 
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
God is truly an on-time God. This evening in my moment(s) of frustration and despair, he placed on two angels hearts, the thought to reach out and see if I was doing okay. If that is not a testament of God's love and mercy, I do not know what else is. 

I am truly thankful for the three simplest things, but these three simple things have meant everything to me today. 

2 comments: